Tuesday, April 26, 2011

That Mom. . .

Long before I found out I was going to be a mommy and even when I was pregnant I had assumptions about motherhood and my role as a mom.  I have never had a job not working with kids so I thought my years of teaching preschool gave me some insight into the world of mommyhood! Was I WRONG! I had plans for all the things I would do and the things I would definitely not do as a mommy! So far those plans have not panned out.

Let's start with the "would do" category:
1. I planned on being a working mom (so far I am dreading the day the hubby says it's time to go back)
2. I was going to join mommy and baby yoga (yeah with what time lol)
3. I was going to have a spotless house, get my body back and look even better than before (whatever), and always be "put together" (let's just say sweat pants are my new best friend)
4. I was going to have dinner waiting for Morgan when he got home! Poor guy is lucky if I bring home take out or he does the cooking.
In the "Would never do" category
1. Never co-sleep! That's a joke cause now I have a roomie who takes up most of the bed or I wake to him searching for boob, but most of the time he just sucks elbow
2. Never give him baby food that was not homemade! Well when you have a screamer who wants to be held at all times, it is way easier to open a jar then to steam, puree, and store (I still love doing it when I have time)
3. Never allow him to scream at the table (still don't, but those happy screams are so darn cute)
4. Never let Tanner call the shots, well my days of being the boss are long gone! He is the most demanding boss ever, and Morgan and I bow down to King Tanner (just for now, teenage Tanner has another thing coming)
5. Never breast feed after one year, but the way weaning is going my kid may be attached to my boob for the next 15 years (totally exaggerating!)

So I have become "that" mom. The one I said I wouldn't be, but you know what, I like being this mom. I have an amazing little boy who is happy and secure. Can't ask for much more than that. For being such a planner, this was a good lesson. Life doesn't always go as "planned".
The best part of life! Loving every moment with him, even the nights of getting smacked in the face by Sir Punch A Lot!

2 comments:

  1. You do what's best for you and Tanner and not what should be expected of you. We all change our ways as we go. I never thought I would breast feed and here I am (okay, not anymore) but she's still getting her boobie juice! As long as he is safe, secure, and happy...it's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW! I think me and you might share a brain... and our babies might also! You just listed my same list exactly! Hopefully my plans for having a teenager end up how I want them!!

    ReplyDelete