Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful for a reality check

Today is Thanksgiving. It's 1 am and I can't sleep. So much is running through my head and I just can't seem to turn my brain off. I have so many things to be thankful for this year and got hit with a dose of reality yesterday that really made my priorities in life pretty darn clear. I met my parents for lunch at a local burger place yesterday. As we were walking in we were approached by a man asking for money so he could buy lunch. At first my mom was a bit annoyed and gave him two dollars, mainly so he would go away. We didn't think much of it until we saw him walk in the resturant a few minutes later. He sat down, tears welling in his eyes and was watching others eat. My eyes met my moms and both of us lost it. The tears began flowing and neither of us could even take a bite of food. We both searched our purses and found some money for the man. My mom walked over to him and asked if he had ordered some food. He said that he used the money she gave him to get some fries, but that the workers told him he needed to leave. My mom took him outside and handed him the money. He said he was ashamed and "felt like crap" for having to beg. My mom said she was sorry she didn't give him more earlier, but that she wanted him to have a good dinner and that God would've wanted her to help. They both cried for a minute, then my mom returned to the table. We still ate our food with a lump in our throats and my brother made the comment "we can't help everyone", but the only thing that came out of my mouth was "well she made a difference to him". It was a small gesture and I know we wish we could've done more.

I have not been able to get this man off my mind. I have prayed all day that God will take care of him. I have struggled lately with feeling down about our particular situation. Finances are tight and we may not always be able to do the things we are used to, but I have never been hungry or cold. Seeing someone hungry hit me, hard. It's not fair. I complain about not being able to shop and all this man wanted was a burger. Talk about a lesson. I think God puts people or situations in our lives to show us what is really important. Today, I learned that I have so much to be thankful for (super fitting since today is Thanksgiving). I have love, a home, food to eat, a husband that would move heaven and earth for me if I asked, a healthy amazing little boy, and a baby girl growing inside of me. So often I complain about having too many places to go for the holidays and yet some people don't even have a place to sleep, much less a place to go for the holidays. This year I plan to embrace the fact that I have a crazy, big, loud, family that I love with all of my heart. I needed this reality check and thank God for opening my eyes to the bigger picture this year. I am truly blessed and need to remember that every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment